Wednesday 14 March 2012

Xbox Game Covers

Word Association To Generate Ideas -
In this task we were given a list of words that we had to choose from at random. I ended up going with "Might Axe" and "Heroic Hobo"

Mighty Axe:

Mighty definition - Possessing great and impressive power or strength.

Axe definition - An edged tool with a heavy bladed head mounted across a handle.

Character Bio -
Mighty Axe is a viking type character that walks with a slouch dragging an axe behind him. He's got gingery hair and beard and is a middle aged big built man. He wears rag clothes with metal armour around his top half of his body.


Character Design -
To create this I took an image of a guy, axe and some armour renders then placed them into Photoshop. I started off by desaturating all the images so that they were black and white. I then started to use selection tools to cut out the images that I wanted. After that I placed them into another Photoshop file and and started to place the armour over the guy following the size and shape of his body using the transform tools on the armour. To make the armour look more realistic I used the highlight and darken tool in area around the armour that would either be lighter or darker. I also added in drop shadows on the armour to make them look as though they were separate pieces adding to the realism. Finally I took my axe image and placed it under the man and armour layers and positioned to look as though it was strapped to his back.


Game Cover -
To create this I took a render of an Xbox cover title head and placed it in  Photoshop so I knew what size I would be working to. I then took an image that go along with my game design from the internet and desaturated it adding in my armoured character in over the top. I then duplicated my character layer and lowered the brightness until it black distorting in a shadow shape and adding a slight blur to create the shadow. After that I used a layer effect of the character called outer glow to give this white glow around him. Finally I started on the text by using a default font and colouring it white and adding a drop shadow, I then got a splatter brush and made a selection around the text and start to dab the brush over the text to create the blood effect.


Evaluation -
Overall I am pleased with how my design has turned. I like the way I've managed to manipulate the armour on to my original man picture render to look as though he's actually wearing the armour. In the actual cover design I like the way my character blends in with the background and looks as though he is actually standing there within the scene due to the shadow I've added in. Another thing I like about this design the my blood splatter text I've managed to create which goes along with the concept of the game as it's been design for a first hand combat type game. The only thing I can fault about is maybe the outer glow around the character, looking at it now just makes me think does it necessarily need to be there? But all in al I'm happy with how the design planned out.

Heroic Hobo:

Heroic definition - Having the characteristics of a hero or heroine; very brave.

Hobo definition - A homeless person; a tramp.

Character Bio -
The Heroic Hobo wields nothing but his fists as weapons and has longish scruffy brown hair. He is also a middle aged ruff edged man that has a medium build to him with dirty looking skin complexion. He wears a scruffy ripped jacket and jeans.

Character Design -
I made this character simply by using a reference image form the internet to draw from and drew it out slightly different changing colours and facial expression through using only the paint bucket and brush tool.


Game Cover -

Here I used the Xbox cover image as before and the I took an image from the internet  of a town for the background and added a filter over the top called poster edges to give this drawn look. I then used an old type face and made a selection over it placing in body parts and colour from my character design. Finally I added in my image of the character, duplicating him and adding a slight blur and lowering the brightness to create this shadow effect.

Evaluation -
The design is something I'm very pleased about as I drew my character instead of manipulating it like the other. I lack drawing skills but I believe this design turned out very good and I've managed to create the cartoony feel that I wanted, he also looks like a hobo which is the effect I wanted to create from this piece.
I'm very happy with the game cover as well because the title "Heroic Hobo" I believe ties in with the character concept within it as he's in a very heroic stance and looks as though he's accomplished something or done good. I'm also happy with the text and of the title as I've gone for an old look type face which I believe corresponds with the game concept. The only thing I can fault about this design is the background although I'm pleased with it, I think that it could do with being a bit more cartoon like. Overall I'm very pleased with the final outcome.


No comments:

Post a Comment